Skip to main content

Enroll for Fall 2024! View the schedule of classes

Learn More


Residency Statement

By State law, Barstow Community College is required to obtain from its students evidence of physical presence in California for one year prior to the start of the semester and their intent to make California their home state for other than a temporary period. For this reason, the student must furnish all information required on the Admissions Application. Residency documentation may be requested.

For more information on establishing or proving residency, see the Request for Residency Status Change Form. or contact the Admissions and Records Department.

Non-Citizens of the United States

A non-citizen is defined as (1) a citizen or permanent resident of the United States but a resident of California for less than one year on the day before classes begin or (2) a person who is neither a citizen nor permanent resident of the United States.

Persons who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States who wish to enroll at Barstow Community College should contact Admissions and Records for further information.

Eligible students, who meet certain requirements under AB 540, may be exempt from paying nonresident tuition. See the College Catalog for more information.

Admision e Inscripcion

Barstow Community College recibe a los estudiantes que son graduados de las escuelas secundarias y también a los que se han aprobado el examen del California State Proficiency y son certifacados por el estado de California. Se les permite admisión también a otros candidatos de 18 anos o mas, quienes pueden aprovechar de la instrucción que se les ofrezca. Cualquier persona quien ha servido en las fuerzas armadas de los Estados Unidos es elegible para admisón a Barstow Community College.

Students Under 19 Years of Age

You must complete the section of the Residency Questionnaire and Admissions Application that applies to you. If the parent(s) with whom you live has a last name which is different than yours, state the relationship. If you have a guardian, he or she must be court appointed.

Students Under 18 Years of Age

Residency of a student under 18 years of age is assumed to be that of his/her parent(s) or legal guardian. The burden of proof of residency lies with the student. If you are not 18 years of age, you must submit proof of high school graduation or the U.S. equivalent when applying for admission. Students in high school must complete and submit a Dual Enrollment Agreement form signed by a parent or guardian, the school principal (or designee), and a Barstow Community College Counselor. This form authorizes enrollment and must state the specific class(es) in which the student plans to enroll. Students are not allowed to enroll in any class that is not listed on the permission slip.

Active Military or Dependents

Military personnel and family members who list California as their home of record are considered residents regardless of duty station. Military personnel and family members not listing California as home of record who are stationed in California for other than educational purposes will be granted residency. Residency remains in effect as long as the student is continuously enrolled. Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment for the fall and spring semester; summer enrollment is not required for continuous enrollment.

See the Military Residency Affidavit for more information

Change in Residency Status

Students who have been out-of-state residents must submit the Request for Residency Status Change Form. in order to change their status. Residency documents should be submitted to Admissions and Records prior to the start of the semester. Out-of-state residency will not be changed automatically. State law requires consideration of financial independence for students seeking reclassification.

Residency Classification Appeal

Any student, following a final decision on residency classification by Admissions and Records, may make written appeal to the Vice President of Student Services within 30 days of notification of the final residency decision.