Skip to main content

Enroll for Fall 2024! View the schedule of classes

Learn More


All active-duty military members must contact their Educational Services Officer (ESO) before enrolling to review all of their educational options.

Barstow Community College wants you to get the educational services that fit your needs. Military members and their family members who are stationed in California for other than educational purposes or who have a home of record in California are eligible for California residency and may apply for the California College Promise Grant.

We offer the following degree programs 100% online:

  • Administration of Justice, Associate of Science
  • Child Development, Associate of Science
  • Humanities, Associate of Arts
  • Management, Associate of Science
  • Social Science, Associate of Arts

Military members and spouses are granted priority registration. To become a student at BCC follow the steps outlined at Getting Started.

Credit for Military Service

Barstow Community College grants up to 30 semester units for military equivalency. Students must submit a Joint Services transcript for evaluation after completing 6 units of work at BCC.

Tuition Assistance

Barstow Community College accepts tuition assistance from active-duty students to pay enrollment fees, including out-of-state tuition.

Applying for tuition assistance (TA) through the military involves several steps and requirements. Here’s a general guide on how to apply for tuition assistance based on common procedures across different branches of the U.S. military:

  1. Check Eligibility:

    • Each branch of the military has its own eligibility criteria for tuition assistance. Typically, service members must be on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and meet certain service requirements.
    • Eligibility criteria may include minimum service time, educational goals that align with the military’s mission, and satisfactory performance evaluations.
  2. Contact Your Education Office:

    • Contact the education office within your military branch (e.g., Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard) for specific guidance and forms related to tuition assistance.
    • They can provide information on eligibility requirements, application procedures, approved educational institutions, and funding limits.
  3. Choose an Eligible Program and Institution:

    • Ensure that the educational program and institution you plan to attend are eligible for tuition assistance. Most accredited colleges, universities, and vocational schools are eligible, but it is important to confirm with your education office.
  4. Submit Application:

    • Complete the tuition assistance application form provided by your branch of the military. This may involve filling out forms electronically through your branch’s education portal or submitting paperwork directly to your education office.
    • Some branches may require you to create an account on their tuition assistance portal and submit your course enrollment information online.
  5. Receive Approval:

    • Your education office will review your application after you submit it. If approved, you will receive confirmation of your tuition assistance funding.
    • Keep copies of all communications and approvals related to your tuition assistance application for your records.
  6. Complete Courses and Maintain Eligibility:

    • Attend your approved courses and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Most military branches require you to maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) to continue receiving tuition assistance.
  7. Submit Grades and Reimbursement (if applicable):

    • Some military branches require you to submit your grades at the end of each course or semester to verify your progress.
    • If you paid tuition upfront and seek reimbursement through TA, follow your branch’s procedures for submitting reimbursement requests.
  8. Renew or Reapply:

    • Tuition assistance benefits must be reapplied for each academic term or year. Check with your education office for deadlines and procedures for renewing your tuition assistance for subsequent courses.

It’s important to note that each branch of the military may have specific nuances in their tuition assistance programs, so it’s advisable to contact your education office early in your planning process to ensure you understand and meet all requirements. They can provide the most up-to-date information and guide you through the application process.

For more information, visit:


Transfer of Credits/Credit for Test Equivalencies

Active duty students that may have attended other regionally accredited colleges or universities, or have completed CLEP/DANTES exams may submit official transcripts and/or score reports for evaluation. Free CLEP/DANTES exams are offered for active duty military members in Bldg. 285, Barstow Road, Fort Irwin, CA. Call 760-252-2411 ext. 7601 for more information.