Students Receiving GI Bill Benefits are responsible for the following:
- You will need to declare an education objective when initially applying for your benefits at Barstow Community College.
- You may change your program as many times as you wish.
- You will need to meet with an academic counselor to obtain an education plan each time you change programs. We will report all program changes to the Veterans Administration and notify them how much credit you have already achieved towards your new goal.
- You need to make satisfactory progress toward your stated degree objective. These standards are found in the Barstow Community College Catalog. The lack of maintaining satisfactory progress may result in termination of benefits.
o If your grade point average remains below the graduation requirement (2.0) for more than three (3) consecutive terms, you will not be certified for V.A. educational benefits until your academic status is restored to good standing.
- All of your prior college work needs to be evaluated for prior credit reporting. BCC allows one semester without this report. For your benefit, it is best to order your transcripts from previous colleges immediately.
- You will need to report any adds, drops, changes of address, etc. to the V.A. Certifying Official. Any dropped class without a valid reason could cause an overpayment that you would be obligated to repay. Any added class could change your entitlement. If any mitigating circumstances arise that would result in you having to drop your courses or not complete your courses, please notify the V.A. Certifying Official immediately.
- • Benefit recipients under Chapters 30, 35, 1606 or 1607 must set up a profile with the Veterans Administration. Do so by visiting Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE).
o To receive your monthly benefits you must verify your enrollment on or after the last day of each month while attending school. Failure to verify enrollment each month will result in non-payment until you contact the VA.
- You must submit official sealed transcripts from all other colleges/universities attended by the following deadlines during their first term of attendance at BCC.
Note: Students attending during the summer for the first time must submit transcripts by the Fall deadline.