Skip to main content

Enroll for Summer and Fall 2024! View the schedule of classes

Learn More

Funding Your Future at a University



A variety of financial aid sources are available to help you pay for college. Financial aid can come from, federal, state, school, and private sources to help you you pay for college. Learn more about federal grants, loans, and work-study jobs and how they can help fund your education HERE


Types of Financial Aid

A grant is given by the federal government, the state or the university as a gift; you don't need to repay a grant or work to earn the money. The federal grants listed are the most common, but there are others you may be eligible for. 

  • Federal Pell Grants- Amounts change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $6,495 for the 2021-2022 award year. 
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)-The FSEOG program is administered directly by the financial aid office at each participating school. Not all schools participate. Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if the school offers the FSEOG. You can receive between $100-$4,000 a year, depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you get, and the availability of funds at your school. 
  • The Teach Grant- Different from other federal student grants because it requires you to agree to complete a teaching services obligation as a condition for receiving the grant, and if you don't complete the service obligation, the TEACH Grant will be converted to a loan that you must repay, with interest. The TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching. 
  • Cal Grants 
  • Middle Class Scholarship- Provides undergraduate students, including students pursuing a teaching credential, with family income up to $191,000 and assets up to $191,000 a scholarship (between 10%-40% of the tuition and fees) to attend University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) campuses.
  • California Chafee Grant For Foster Youth- Program is available to any applicant who is or was in foster care between the ages of 16-18. Applicants may qualify for $5,000 a year for career and technical training. 
  • California Military Department GI Bill Award Program- If you are an active member in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia you may be eligible for a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve your skills, competencies, and abilities.
  • Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant- The Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents (LEPD) Grant Program provides need-based educational grants to dependents and spouses of employees who lost their lives in the line of duty or were totally disabled as a result of an accident or injury caused by external violence or physical force incurred in the performance of duty
  • Golden State Teacher Grant

    The Golden State Teacher Grant program (GSTG) is for students who are currently enrolled in a teacher preparation program to earn a credential in a high need field and commit to teach at a priority school, in California for four years, within five years after completing a teacher preparation program. GSTG awards of up to $20,000 are available to eligible, currently enrolled students in California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) approved teacher preparation programs. Campuses and program administrators will verify applicants’ enrollment status.  Apply for a 2021-22 Golden State Teacher Grant here:

These are need-based awards--administered by the CSU--are given to eligible undergraduate and graduate students. 

  • State University Grant (SUG) Program- The State University Grant (SUG) program provides need-based awards to eligible undergraduate and graduate/post baccalaureate students who are California residents or otherwise determined as eligible, such as AB 540-eligible students. Systemwide, the priority is to award a SUG at least equal to the amount of the State University Fee ($5,742 for undergraduates; $6,660 for students in teaching credential programs; and $7,176 for graduate and post baccalaureate students) to eligible students who apply for financial aid by March 2; who have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $4,000 or less; and who are not receiving a Cal Grant or other award designated to cover fees.
  • CSU Systemwide Scholarships- Typically given for achievement, a scholarship is a gift; you aren’t obligated to repay this type of financial aid.

For California students whose annual family income is under $80,000 and who qualify for financial aid, systemwide tuition and fees will be fully covered by gift aid (grants & scholarships) during the first four years at UC (or two years for transfer students).

Other Types of Aid

Loans that are backed by the federal government are called Direct Loans. A student may be eligible for a Direct Subsidized Loan, a Direct Unsubsidized Loan, etc. 


Work-study, California Vet Fee Waiver, tuition assistance and financial aid can help vets and active duty servicemen and servicewomen pay for school. 

If you participate in a Federal Work-Study program you'll work part-time whole you're going to school. 

Undocumented Student Aid

The California Dream Act allows students interested in attending eligible California Colleges, Universities and Career Education Programs to apply for state financial aid.  This application is unrelated to the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. 

The California DREAM Loan Program provides eligible undocumented AB 540 undergraduates with the option to borrow loans to help cover the cost of attending a university.