The Academic Senate is a governance organization that represents Barstow Community College Faculty in all academic and professional matters. The role of Academic Senate is outlined by AP 2510-Participation in Shared Governance. Commonly referred to at 10+1, activities and responsibilities may include or go beyond the following:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines.
- Degree & Certificate Requirements
- Grading Policies
- Educational Program Development
- Standards or Polices regarding Student Preparation and Success
- College governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation process
- The appointment of faculty members to serve on college committees, task forces, or other groups dealing with academic and professional matters shall be made by the Faculty Senate in consultation with the BCFA president and the Superintendent/President or designee.
- There are some areas where the Faculty Association may appoint faculty to committees.
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the academic senate.
In addition to the 10+1, Academic Senate participates in the hiring criteria, policies, procedures, and equivalencies for new faculty members shall be developed, updated, and agreed upon jointly by representatives of the Governing Board and Academic Senate.
This web site serves as a focal point and resource center for matters related to Academic Senate business and related community involvement.