Barstow Community CollegeI am a New StudentInternational Students

Attending on an F1 Student Visa:

A limited number of international students may be admitted to Barstow College. The goal of the program is to provide educational opportunities for the international students and to promote international understanding on campus and in the community.

  • The number of F1 students admitted is limited to three percent of the day enrollment. F1 students will not be accepted for admission into any program where applications by qualified United States citizens exceed spaces available.
  • Only persons who qualify for F1 visas are eligible for admission.
  • F1 students are required to pay nonresident tuition and enrollment fees. F1 students are strongly encouraged purchase a campus photo identification card.
  • F1 students are required to complete a full-time program (12 units or more) each semester of attendance. Failure to do so is reported to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and the student may not be permitted to continue.
  • Enrollment of F1 students is limited to a maximum of six semesters.
  • The F1 student shall be held to the same scholastic requirements, rules, and regulations set by the college and USCIS.
  • It is required that F1 students purchase health insurance in the United States. Such insurance should include major medical coverage to protect the students against financial catastrophe.
  • F1 students will be recommended for a work permit only in accordance with the rules and regulations established by the USCIS.

Admissions Requirements:

  • All applicants must complete the admissions application and complete the International Application.
  • The applicant must possess knowledge of the English language as evidenced by either:
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum score of 450 (written), 133 (computer-based) or 46 (internet based) required. Information regarding the TOEFL test and testing centers in your area can be found at http://www.toefl.org.
  • The applicant must offer evidence of a degree of academic achievement equivalent to an American high school education. The student must submit a transcript of an official school record accompanied with a certified English translation. Evaluations of foreign transcripts and other admission documents will be based upon the recommendations of The Country Index, The World Education Series based on the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, or other sources.
  • The applicant must offer evidence of financial responsibility. Certification of parent, self, or sponsor support is required. Official bank statements must be translated into English and represent American currency.
  • F1 visa applicants who have attended other American schools or colleges may be considered for admission provided the applicant meets the above requirements and is in status with the USCIS. Applicants who have completed two or more years of college will be advised to seek admission to an institution offering upper division courses.

All non-immigrant visitors are required to have a valid visa (*except Canadians) in their passport to be allowed entry into the U.S.

Students applying for initial entry F-1 may be issued the visas up to 120 days before the academic program start date as noted in item 5 on the I-20.

You may not enter the U.S. earlier than 30 days before the start date noted in item 5 on the I-20 form. You should make your travel arrangements with this date in mind. The start date is chosen to allow adequate time for you to arrive and make housing arrangements prior to the start of the semester.

  • Pay the $200 SEVIS fee to activate your I-20 SEVIS record at www.fmjfee.com
  • Make an appointment for a visa interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.
  • Visas cannot be issued inside the U.S.
  • If you are living outside the U.S. you must obtain a passport from your government. Next, you must apply for an F-1 student visa. As soon as you receive your I-20, schedule your visa appointment at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for an F-1 visa.
  • Canadian citizens do not need a visa, but simply present the I-20, valid passport, SEVIS fee receipt, and financial documentation to the immigration officer at the U.S. port of entry. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of State's travel pages.
2700 Barstow Road • Barstow, California 92311 • PHONE 760.252.2411 • FAX 760.252.1875 • TTY 760.252.6759
Copyright 2014 Barstow Community College. All Rights Reserved.