Admissions Requirements for F1 Visa Students
- The applicant must possess knowledge of the English language as evidenced by either:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum score of 450 (written), 133 (computer-based) or 46 (internet based) required. Information regarding the TOEFL test and testing centers in your area can be found at http://www.toefl.org.
- The applicant must offer evidence of a degree of academic achievement equivalent to an American high school education. The student must submit a transcript of an official school record accompanied with a certified English translation. Evaluations of foreign transcripts and other admission documents will be based upon the recommendations of The Country Index, The World Education Series based on the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, or other sources.
- The applicant must offer evidence of financial responsibility. Certification of parent, self, or sponsor support is required. Official bank statements must be translated into English and represent American currency.
- F1 visa applicants who have attended other American schools or colleges may be considered for admission provided the applicant meets the above requirements and is in status with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services. Applicants who have completed two or more years of college will be advised to seek admission to an institution offering upper division courses.
- All applicants must complete the online admissions application at www.barstow.edu and complete the International Application.
- After completion of the listed requirements, the applicant will be considered for admission and will be notified of acceptance or non-acceptance by mail. When accepted, the applicant will be sent an acceptance letter, orientation materials, intent to register form, and a Form I-20.
Attending on an F1 Student Visa
- A limited number of international students may be admitted to Barstow College. The goal of the program is to provide educational opportunities for the international students and to promote international understanding on campus and in the community. The following regulations govern the admission of F1 students to Barstow College.
- The number of F1 students admitted is limited to three percent of the day enrollment. F1 students will not be accepted for admission into any program where applications by qualified United States citizens exceed spaces available.
- Only persons who qualify for F1 visas are eligible for admission.
- F1 students are required to pay non-United States citizen tuition, enrollment and health fees. F1 students are strongly encouraged purchase a campus photo identification card.
- F1 students are required to complete a full-time program (12 units or more) each semester of attendance. Failure to do so is reported to the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services, and the student may not be permitted to continue.
- Enrollment of F1 students is limited to a maximum of six semesters.
- The F1 student shall be held to the same scholastic requirements, rules, and regulations set by the college and United States Immigration and Naturalization Services.
- It is required that F1 students purchase health insurance in the United States. Such insurance should include major medical coverage to protect the students against financial catastrophe.
- F1 students will be recommended for a work permit only in accordance with the rules and regulations established by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services.