A limited number of international students may be admitted to Barstow Community College. The goal of the program is to provide educational opportunities for the international students and to promote international understanding on campus and in the community. The number of F1 students admitted is limited to three percent of the day enrollment. F1 students will not be accepted for admission into any program where applications by qualified United States citizens exceed space available.
Admissions Requirements for F1 Students
The applicant must:
• Possess knowledge of the English language as evidenced by earning minimum scores of 450 (written), 133 (computer-based) or 46 (internet based) when taking Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a 3.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam. Information regarding TOEFL and testing centers can be found at www.toefl.org. Scores may not be submitted by the student.
• Offer evidence of a degree of academic achievement equivalent to an American high school education. The student must submit a transcript of an official school record accompanied with a certified English translation. Evaluations of foreign transcripts and other admissions documents will be based upon the recommendations of The Country Index, the World Education Series, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, or other sources.
• Offer evidence of financial responsibility. Certification of self, parent or sponsor support is required. Official bank statements are required and must be translated into English and represent American currency.
• F1 visa applicants who have attended other American schools or colleges may be considered for admission provided the applicant meets the above requirements and is in status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Applicants who have completed two or more years of college will be advised to seek admission to an institution offering upper division courses.
• Complete the online Admissions Application at www.barstow.edu/apply.
• Submit the International Student Supplemental Application and all supporting documentation.
• After completion of the listed requirements, the applicant will be considered for admission and will be notified of acceptance or non-acceptance by mail. When accepted, the applicant will be sent a Form I-20.
• Once the student receives the Form I-20, online orientation must be completed (www.barstow.edu/orient).
• Upon arrival to Barstow: o Students must update their physical address and provide a phone number. Admissions and Records must be notified within 10 days every time there is a change to either of these.
o The student must complete the assessment test.
o Meet with a counselor to develop an education plan. A copy of the education plan must be submitted to the Director of Enrollment Services.
o The student must then register in 12 units, only one of which may be online.
Attending on an F1 Student Visa
• Students are required to pay non-resident tuition, enrollment fees, and student activities and representation fees.
• Students must purchase health insurance. This may be done through the Office of Student Services. Proof of purchase must be on file with the Director of Enrollment Services. . Such insurance should include major medical coverage to protect students from financial catastrophe.
• Students must maintain full time enrollment (a minimum of 12 units per semester). Failure to do so, without receiving permission from the Director of Enrollment Services in advance, will result in the student being reported as out of status to the SEVIS.
• Enrollment of F1 students is limited to a maximum of six semesters.
• Students must maintain academic standards as outlined in the Catalog. Failure to do so will result in being reported as out of status.
• F1 students will be not be allowed to work.